Monday, March 31, 2008

The Fruitfulness of Joy

John 15:11, "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full."

When things are going well, we feel elated. When hardships come, we sink into depression. But true joy transcends the rolling waves of circumstance. Joy comes from a consistent relationship with Jesus Christ, one in which we abide in Him as He abides in us. When our lives are intertwined with His, He will help us through adversity and the trials of life. He will keep us from sinking into debilitating lows and help us manage prosperity without moving into deceptive highs. The joy of living with Jesus daily will keep us level-headed, no matter how high or low our circumstances.

Our verse identifies a joy that is "Christ's joy," and a joy that is our joy. Our joy by itself gives no lasting fulfillment, while the joy of Christ abiding in us makes our joy complete. As we abide in the Lord, we experience the fruit of joy in our lives.

Lord, Jesus, may others know that I am a Christian by the joy they see in my life; may others come to you for salvation because of Your joy in me; and may You be glorified through me. In Your Name I pray, Amen.

1 comments:

The Armstrongs said...

It's amazing how much my Joy is dependent on circumstances - actually more than Joy, even! I'm more productive, happy, fulfilled, successful, self-controlled and busy when things are going well. When I look at circumstances that don't look good, it's easy to swirl down into questions, moping, irritations, sharp responses, over-eating and helplessness. Isn't is so wonderful that God gave us a place to go outside of circumstances altogether?! HIS PRESENCE is definitely a safe place to go from all the effects of circumstances. What motivation to learn how to remain there! Thanks for sharing your study on Joy.