Monday, May 7, 2007

Faith is Our Defense

Once we choose the Truth and begin walking in it, we are at the same time rejecting the lies that Satan wants so much for us to accept. However, as we have learned, our uncontrolled emotions can complicate matters. It can be very difficult to sort out truth from untruth because of how we feel about a certain situtation. For these reasons, we must find the truth from the Word of God and act upon it. This is faith.

A wonderful aspect of faith according to Ephesians 6:16 is that it is a shield as we use it to "quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one." In order to refute Satan's lies, you and I must be fully persuaded of the truth of all God's promises. This kind of faith is wholly effective because it exposes the enemy's deception and reveals the Lord's perspective, which is true and right and just.

Let us always remember that our minds are the battle field. It is interesting that even when we choose to believe and act on the truth, the warfare continues the "noisy" uproar in our heads. The way to quiet the storm is by filling your thoughts with God's Word, even if you must read aloud. The enemy cannot stand against the Truth, so begin speaking it to those around you, on the phone, and to yourself.

"That we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head -- Christ," Ephesians 4:14-15.

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God," Romans 10:17.

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him," Hebrews 11:6.

By faith we understand that we are dependent upon the Lord for the grace and strength to stand firm against the fiery darts of our enemy. We know that our faith is the greatest weapon against his lies and deceit. The Lord is our defense, and all we are to do is run to Him.

Love, Karen

2 comments:

Tanya Kangas said...

I wish I could have been there Wednesday, Owen and I were sick. Your update is right where I am these past two days. I had a hard day yesterday and as I was pouting about my hurt feelings, the thought came to me, get out your Bible! So I did. Isn't it so much better to be battling emotions with the Word of God? Without it, we can be overcome by anything. Thank you Lord for your truth! I can't imagine living life apart from it. It is the only breathe of life in this life. Thanks for all you do for our Bible study Karen.

Tanya Kangas said...

I wish I could have come on Wednesday, Owen and I were both sick. This week's update is right in line with what God is speaking to me. I was having a hard day yesterday and in the midst of my sadness, I got the thought, 'get out your Bible'. So I did. And instead of nursing my hurts, I read the truth. I am so glad that we have the truth! I cannot imagine living life without it. Thank you Lord for saving us and for continually speaking your truth to us! And thank you Karen for all the hard work you do for this Bible study. I know we are all learning so much.