Friday, November 9, 2007

Putting Away Childish Things

1 Corinthians 13:11, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

A new-born baby cries because he or she needs something. The mother is quick to meet the needs of her infant whether it be a diaper change, a feeding, or affection. When the baby becomes a toddler, some of his tears may mean that he has a desire rather than an actual need. The parents must distinguish the difference, because the child does not know that everything he wants may not be good for him. And so, the parents spend the rest of his childhood training him to look outside of himself. They begin to discipline the youngster when he displays selfishness, disobedience, and destructive behavior.

By the time the youth has become a man or woman, childish ways are put away. The adult has God-given responsibilities, maybe a spouse, children and a job. Grown-ups will be tempted to revert to juvenile behavior, but they must resist self-indulgence and deliberately choose the way of charity.

Paul speaks very matter-of-factly, as if the whole procedure is a natural step, even simple. We know that it is not. The only simplicity lies in remembering that our Heavenly Father is always there for us. It is through Him that we keep on the narrow path and grow as Christians. We have not achieved a permanent grown-up status just because we call ourselves adults. We always must run like a child to our Lord.

He will discipline us, love us, and deliver us from our bad behavior, if we ask Him. He always knows that everything we want may not be good for us. He reminds us to look outside of ourselves, and He will spend the rest of our lives nurturing us.

Lord, help me leave my childish ways behind. I want to spend my time looking out to the needs of others, not floundering in self-centeredness. Thank you for holding me up and walking with me on the way. Amen.

Love, Karen

0 comments: