Friday, March 2, 2007

Avoiding Rebellion in Our Children

As mothers, one of our many responsibilities is that of our children's religious education. Recently, I found an interesting meaning of the word "religion," so interesting, in fact, that it has a special place in this post:

Religion: a bond between God and man.

God commanded in His Word that the stories of His mighty acts regarding man in history be passed on from the parents to children. The Lord wants parents never to forget His work in their lives, and He wants them to share their "religion" with their children and their grandchildren. The reason for this is the same today that it was when He first had it recorded in the Old Testament: to help each generation obey God and set their hope in Him. It is the responsibility of parents to keep their children from repeating the same mistakes of their forefathers.

As we teach our children about the bond we have with God, they will listen to our words. As we tell of our successes and failures, they will learn of God's mercy. As we lead our lives with the "mantle" of genuine love, they will desire to serve the God that loves us.

Psalm 78:1-7, "Give ear, O my people, to my law; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old,
Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
For He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children;
That the generation to come might know them, the children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
That they may set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments.

The subject of educating our offspring can loom as a giant before our eyes, and we are tempted to distress over the thought of it. However, the Lord shows us in this Psalm that His way is for parents to communicate with their children. Yes! Talking is communicating; communicating is sharing stories; sharing is teaching; teaching is education. Down goes the giant!

It is vital that we keep the lines of communication open with our children. As we encourage open and truthful conversations, along with a clear understanding of set boundaries, then their security is settled. They will not doubt our commitment and love. The truth is that our children do not have to go through a rebellious stage.

Deuteronomy 6:7, "You shall teach [them] diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."

May the Lord bless you richly as you seek to have conversation with your children.

Love, Karen

2 comments:

The Armstrongs said...

Karen,

My mind is filled with so many thoughts!! First is our son Shad chose to accept Jesus in His heart this week! It was as if he paused from his playing with cars and Sponge Bob episodes to make a life-changing decision before resuming his way. A few months ago he definitely wanted to wait, and it amazes me how opinionated our little people are. They know it is their decision even before I feel like they can understand what they are doing! I caught Shad and Aidan discussing Shad's decision and wondering whether Jesus was in his heart right this very minute. I assured him that He is! "Is He in everyone's heart, Mom?" "Everyone who asks". And Shad smiled. Aidan took off running saying "I am never, never, never..." so I interupted him and told him that it was Ok with me that he didn't want to pray for that right now, that I love him and he can ask for Jesus when he's ready. so, he is happy now, too.

If there is one thing that I remember through my teenage years that made me not want to rebel, it would be Dad and Mom's open line of communication. I enjoyed talking with them, and I felt almost like I had a sneak-preview of adult life by talking to such "experienced" insiders. I wasn't lonely or seeking for any fulfillment from peers. When I struggled with constrictive borders, I told them, and they were happy to compensate with more freedom in other areas... like, no sleeping over at that friends' house, but I got to go camping in my grandparents' field with only my sister. Way cool!

Anonymous said...

thank you for this post -- I read it to Robert just now and we were both encouraged and our hearts say "amen" as we hear the truth in it and see how this is the way we want to walk with our six kiddos -- it encourages us to keep pressing on... and that "religion" is not a whole bunch of do's and don't and outward form to pass on to our kids, but rather -- telling of His mercy, His love, His ways and His testimonies...

much love,

alyssa