Monday, March 19, 2007

Cry Out to God for Emotional Needs

When David was distraught or full of fear, he did not fail to go to God. As in Psalm 6, He would take his pain to the Lord and express his feelings. He knew that he could not depend upon his emotions to help him lead an army or to rule a country, so he cried out to God who is steadfast and unfailing. David poured out his heart to the Lord because he knew he would receive forgiveness for the sin that may have caused his anguish. He also found comfort from sorrow and grief, refuge from his enemies, and assurance of the Lord's protection. King David, the ruler of Israel, received God's grace to obey.

We would be wise to use David as an example for our own lives. We, too, can go to God and cry. The character of our Lord is unchanging; He will always hear us, always receive our prayers, and always understand.

Psalm 6

O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger,
Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak;
O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled.
My soul also is greatly troubled;
But You, O Lord -- how long?
Return, O Lord, deliver me!
Oh, save me for Your mercies' sake!
For in death there is no remembrance of You;
In the grave who will give You thanks?
I am weary with my groaning;
All night I make my bed swim;
I drench my couch with my tears.
My eye wastes away because of grief;
It grows old because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity;
For the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;
The Lord will receive my prayers.
Let all my enemies be ashamed and greatly troubled;
Let them turn back and be ashamed suddenly."

Surely, we are the same as David. We, too, will find strength and grace as we cry out to Him and express our emotions. Our Heavenly Father is faithful to give us all that we need. He is the unmoving Rock that we cling to when our emotions want to run wild. He gives us our reason back, and all we have to do is trust Him.

Lord, steady me that I might find peace in the midst of emotional swings. Allow me to be assured of your presence in my life, and help me walk in peace. Thank you for hearing my prayer and for understanding my frailty. Amen.

Love, Karen

0 comments: