Thursday, October 5, 2006

The Blessing of Blindness

Elvira is a dear friend of mine who lives in Mexico. She's a single mother with one daughter who still lives at home. She used to make a very modest living for her family by crocheting fine lace on linens. Unfortunately, it's very difficult at the present time for her to make any kind of living at all. As she approached her fortieth birthday, Elvira discovered that she was losing her eyesight. She had always suspected that this might happen because it's a genetic condition, and she had watched a brother and a sister experience it.

Elvira hasn't always been a Christian. Today, she loves the Lord Jesus and serves Him only, but earlier in her life she worshipped idols and served tradition. She tells me now that that was when she was really blind. At first, when she learned that physical blindness was inevitable, she searched for spiritual help in her church. Elvira was looking for the light, but all she found was darkness. Then, she met Jesus, and the True Light shown. She says that now she can "see" clearer than she's ever seen before.

She walks on the dusty roads in a small village in Mexico with one hand on the shoulder of her daughter who walks in front of her. It's interesting to me that she cannot see in order to influence her daughter as to where she should go. Elvira must trust her little girl completely. She must listen to the child's soft voice as she speaks caution and encouragement, and she must follow in the girl's footsteps to get where she needs to be.

Have I mentioned Elvira's smile? Seldom have I seen such joy in a countenance.

Elvira is my hero and I want to be like her. She a living illustration of how it should be to walk with the Lord. I want to place my hand on the shoulder of the Lord, and I want to follow Him without question, and without suggestions from me on a better route. I desire the blessing of "blindness" that I might see the True Light.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post really spoke to me -- thanks for posting it!

what a good word picture of how it ought to be for us with our heavenly Father.

alyssa