Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Meekness is Gentleness of Strength

I have been reading in our text and particularly in pages 73-76. I am convinced that the "I-have-my-rights lie" has performed its work on Christian women today. Many of us have an attitude that speaks boldly, "Don't violate my rights!" Some of us are searchers, keeping a look-out for potential rights violators so we can pounce first. This takes a lot of energy, creates suspicion, and keeps us on the verge of anger, just in case it is needed! As I search the Scripture, I find the Truth that I need to refute this particular lie. It is found in James 1:20, "For the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

So, it is clear that wrath does not produce God's righteousness, but what does? Instead of my insisting that I have rights in any particular area of my life, the Bible teaches me to give up, or yield, my rights to God. He is the One Who ultimately holds all rights.

Here is some more Truth: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" Matthew 5:5. My commentary tells me that Jesus is the One speaking here in His Sermon on the Mount. He specifically chose the word meek in this verse to denote gentleness of strength. We have found the answer to our question, then. Gentleness of strength will produce the righteousness of God. We are happy and blessed when we are meek, but we are moody and depressed when we hold on tightly to what we think we deserve.

The Lord Jesus is doing great things in our hearts. He is opening us up to trust Him more, and He is showing us how to walk according to His ways. He wants the very best for our lives, and He is teaching us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

Love, Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time reading and studying this week. And it must be something that Satan doesn't want me to understand and work on because I've had a very hard time this week with being confused. I'm starting to see now that I get confused about just the normal everyday things in life when I have purposed and am responding to what I am learning spiritually. The kids were angels, I didn't struggle with anger, things really did get done around the house; and yet I found myself on the phone with my husband, crying with the words "I'm so confused, I don't understand most anything, and NO it's not just because I'm PREGNANT." That's just an excuse.

Robyn

Cassidy said...

Ah, but Rob, it's a good excuse!

Good point, Mom, and one that the author seems to have skipped lightly over.

The only way we will ever receive what our hearts actually desire is to hold everything loosely. Even if it kills us. It's only the wide open palms that God can fill with His gifts, blessings, fulfillment of promises, grace, and most importantly, His hand.