Thursday, November 2, 2006

Is God Enough for You?

Let's take some time right now to read Psalm 78.

Now, I would like you to read verse 3 again, "For I was envious of the boastful, When I saw the prosperity of the wicked."

The psalmist begins his writing by declaring the goodness of God. However, he admits in the third verse that when he looks around at the people of the world, he sees their wealth and is envious. They seem to have it all together, and are prospering and the evidence is their possessions. On one hand, he looks at the Lord and knows His goodness, but on the other, he's wondering if maybe he could just have something more to add to the Lord, then he could prosper just like the world. He complains that he follows the Lord for no profit whatsoever. In fact, the writer has fretted himself into a downward spiral and has even called his life plague-filled.

Then, he enters the sanctuary of the Lord, into God's very presence. There, he worships and in pain lifts his condition to the Lord of mercy. God opens his eyes, and he begins to understand the consequences of those who trust in their possessions. He recognizes his sin of coveting and ungratefulness before the Lord and confesses his foolishness and ignorance. The Lord forgives the repentant man, and then he comes full circle. He looks to the heavens and praises the Lord with the following words, "Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

The writer concludes his psalm with verse 28, "But, it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all Your works."

The Lord is enough; the Lord is more than enough. Because He is good and because He loves, He will also make sure that His children have everything they need. This is the truth for us to dwell on as we continute our studies.

Love,
Karen

0 comments: